Home | Accessibility | Council Meeting Live Stream | Staff Directory  
Print this page click to make the content text on the page larger click to make the content text on the page larger click to make the content text on the page smaller

Entrance Permits- Development, Construction & Maintenance

Town of The Blue Mountains regulates the construction of driveway entrances onto Municipal roads. We ensure that entrances are installed according to municipal standards in appropriate locations and provide for safe and efficient road operation.

There are 3 types of Permits: Development, Construction and Maintenance

Property owners must apply for an Development permit when:

  • A property is being developed or re-developed
  • A new building is to be constructed. If you are getting a building permit, you will need a development permit
  • An entrance is desired to a property where no entrance exists
  • A temporary access is required
  • The use of an entrance changes from temporary to permanent
  • An existing land use changes to another land use, for example a field entrance changes to a residential entrance

Property owners may also require a Development permit when:

  • A Fill Permit has been issued by the Municipality
  • A Site Alteration Permit has been issued by the Conservation Authority 

Exceptions to this requirement would include an approved subdivision with the municipality which identified or included the proposed lot and entrance as part of the approved plan of subdivision.

Property owners must apply for a Construction permit when:

  • Major work is proposed with no changes to the driveway entrance (the portion of the driveway that is on Town property), for example:
    • addition or renovation to existing building
    • demolition
    • landscaping
  • Installation of a private swimming pool and pool enclosure (fence)

Property owners must apply for a Maintenance Permit when:  

  • repairing an existing entrance that was approved by the Town, with materials such as asphalt, interlocking stone or concrete.
  • an exisiting entrance works have deteriorated such as cracked asphalt and failing culvert end protection or headwalls. 

To complete an application for your entrance/driveway permit please click on the Entrance Permit Guide to download your Entrance Permit Application Form. 

Payment Options

  • Cash, Cheque or Debit at the Town Hall 
  • Mail or Courier a cheque to 32 Mill Street, PO Box 310, Thornbury, ON N0H 2P0, Attn: Operations Department
  • We do not accept Credit Cards or E-transfers


  • All deposits will be refunded by cheque to the 'payor' after final inspection approval. 

To request a copy of drawings for the Town of The Blue Mountains Rural Entrance Profile Guidelines and the Rural Culvert Profile Guidelines, or if you have any questions or require additional information please contact the Operations Department